Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

2 Kids Critically Hurt after SUV Fleeing Police Hits Car near Lambert

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

2 Kids Critically Hurt after SUV Fleeing Police Hits Car near Lambert

Article excerpt

Three teens fled a traffic stop in a stolen SUV Tuesday morning and crashed into another car near St. Louis Lambert International Airport, critically injuring two boys and a woman in the second car.

A 9-year-old boy was in critical and unstable condition, according to police. A 5-year-old boy was critical but stable. The 30-year-old driver of that car was in critical but stable condition with broken bones. Another woman in the car, 28, had cuts and scrapes.

Three teens in the SUV that fled police were taken into custody following the crash, just before 10 a.m. on Lambert International Boulevard in front of Terminal 2. They were also taken to a hospital with scrapes and cuts.

Police found a replica of a gun in the SUV.

Authorities blocked off the scene, which included a crumpled silver Toyota RAV4 and a red Toyota Corolla. A child safety seat was on the ground next to the red car.

The shutdown disrupted traffic trying to get to Terminal 2 for about four hours. Travelers were seen walking on roadways, pulling their luggage on rollers, to try to find a detour. Full access to the airport was restored by 4:15 p.m.

The crash was triggered after the SUV fled a Normandy police officer who tried to stop the vehicle on westbound Interstate 70 near Interstate 170 about 9:46 a.m., according to St. Louis County police Sgt. Shawn McGuire. The driver didn't pull over and instead sped off westbound.

Meanwhile, police discovered the car had been taken in an armed carjacking in the Central West End early Tuesday.

In that crime, two males took a silver 2010 Toyota RAV4 with California plates about 12:15 a.m. The carjackers had approached two St. Louis University students in the 4000 block of West Pine Boulevard and asked for a ride to a MetroLink station, according to a campus alert sent out early Tuesday. After the victims agreed and the males got in the car, one of them pulled a gun and demanded the victims' money, phones and the SUV, police said. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.