Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Kingsway

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Kingsway

Article excerpt

Kingsway at its junction with Wilmslow Road in 1935 WELCOME to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now.

Our main photograph shows a view of Kingsway captured in 1935.

It is taken at Parrs Wood where Kingsway intersects with Wilmslow Road.

This dual carriageway provided a major route out of Manchester and was one of the first roads purposebuilt for motor vehicles.

Its central reservation provided a track for trams.

Built in the 1920s and named after King George V, it originally only extended from Levenshulme to Parrs Wood.

At its end there was a large bus depot that could hold 50 buses.

You can see the old depot's clock tower to the left of the image. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.