Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

World Briefs: A Year after Brexit Vote, More People View EU Favorably

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

World Briefs: A Year after Brexit Vote, More People View EU Favorably

Article excerpt

EU gains in popularity

A wide-ranging survey shows that public approval of the European Union has rebounded strongly compared with a year ago but that many people nonetheless think their own national governments and not the EU should have the say over trade and immigration.

The poll results from the U.S.-based Pew Research Center show that majorities in nine of 10 EU member countries surveyed hold a favorable view of the 28-country economic and political bloc.

The more favorable view comes as Europe enjoys a broadening economic recovery and falling unemployment.

In the U.K., where a year ago voters chose narrowly to leave the EU, 54 percent had a positive view of the EU compared with 40 percent who had a negative view.

In the 2016 referendum, 52 percent of voters supported leaving the EU to 48 percent for remaining. On Monday, the country will start talks to leave the bloc.

U.N. urges cease-fire for Yemen * The U.N. Security Council urged the warring parties in Yemen on Thursday to immediately agree on a cease-fire and keep all ports open for humanitarian aid to confront the threat of famine and the rapid spread of cholera.

A presidential statement urged Houthi Shiite rebels and the internationally recognized government to engage in peace talks "in a flexible and constructive manner without preconditions, and in good faith" to end their nearly three-year civil war.

The British-drafted statement, approved by all 15 council members, stressed the importance of keeping all ports, especially Hodeida, as "a critical lifeline" for humanitarian supplies.

Yemen, which is on the southern edge of the Arabian Peninsula, has been engulfed in civil war since September 2014.

Suicide bomber kills 4 in Kabul * A suicide bomber struck outside a Shiite mosque in the Afghan capital Kabul late Thursday night, killing four people, including a leader of Afghanistan's ethnic Hazaras, Hajji Ramazan Hussainzada. Another five people were wounded, said Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish.

Danish said there was gunfire outside the mosque as the suicide bomber tried to force his way inside, but he was stopped by a police officer, who died in the explosion. Another policeman was wounded. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.