Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Suspect in Saskatchewan Amber Alert Previously Charged with Abduction

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Suspect in Saskatchewan Amber Alert Previously Charged with Abduction

Article excerpt

Amber Alert child back with family: police

--

PRINCE ALBERT, Sask. - The parents of an eight-year-old girl allegedly abducted from a Saskatchewan playground say their daughter is doing well.

Her father said on social media police found her "safe and unhurt."

"I really want to say thank you to everyone who has offered help, prayers and support," the girl's mother wrote on Facebook. "Our sweetheart ... is good."

An Amber Alert was issued Tuesday for the girl after she disappeared from a playground in Prince Albert, Sask. Police said the girl was playing by herself that afternoon in the city's Crescent Acres neighbourhood when a man entered the park.

He was seen hanging around for about 15 minutes, until the child left and he followed. Police said he was seen talking to the girl against a school wall, then grabbed her and put her into the back seat of his car. He then climbed into the front and drove away.

The girl's family went to the park, found she was missing and called police at about 3:30 p.m. The Amber Alert was issued at 7:53 p.m.

A little over an hour after the alert was issued, police said the girl had been located but gave no other details.

"She was taken to hospital for assessment when she was located. Other than that we can't comment on her status," said police spokeswoman Alanna Adamko.

Adamko would not say whether any information from the public helped lead to the youngster's recovery and the arrest.

"I would say we were taken aback by the outpouring of public support. We had hundreds of thousands of hits on social media and hundreds of calls and messages from people wanting to provide assistance in any way possible. It was much appreciated."

A suspect in the abduction, Jared John Charles, 19, of St. Louis, was taken into custody in Prince Albert around 11:15 p.m. Tuesday.

On Wednesday night, Prince Albert police said he is being charged with abduction, kidnapping, abandoning a child, criminal negligence, forcible confinement, sexual assault, sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.