Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Police Reveal Spain Terror Gang Plotting Huge Attacks Shows Solidarity after the Barbarity as Probe Continues

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Police Reveal Spain Terror Gang Plotting Huge Attacks Shows Solidarity after the Barbarity as Probe Continues

Article excerpt

THE terrorists behind deadly attacks in Spain that killed 14 people were preparing bigger atrocities than those they carried out, police said.

As a fourth arrest was made in connection with the deadly vehicle assaults in Barcelona and Cambrils, authorities revealed that a suspected gas explosion on Wednesday robbed the killers of materials to use in larger-scale operations.

Prime Minister Theresa May said a child with dual British nationality was believed to be among those unaccounted for, after a grandfather made a desperate online plea for information about his young grandson's whereabouts following the van attack in the Catalan capital.

Some 34 nationalities were among almost 130 people wounded in the attacks in Barcelona's popular Las Ramblas shopping area on Thursday and in Cambrils, a seaside town 70 miles to the south west, early yesterday.

Catalan regional police official Josep Lluis Trapero told reporters that Wednesday's blast at a house in Alcanar, a further 55 miles down the coast, meant the attacks were more "rudimentary" than planned.

Reports from Spain had earlier suggested the terror cell may have been planning an attack using gas canisters.

He said: "We are working on the hypothesis that these attacks were being prepared for a while around this private home in Alcanar. We think they were preparing at least one or more attacks in Barcelona.

"The explosion in Alcanar at least avoided some of the material they were counting on to carry out even bigger attacks than the ones that happened.

"Because of that the attack in Barcelona and the one in Cambrils were carried out in a bit more rudimentary way than the one they had initially planned."

He added that one of the five terrorists killed by police during the terror attack in Cambrils may have been the driver of the van which killed 13 people in Barcelona.

Four men are in custody, aged 21, 27, 28 and 34. Three are Moroccan and one Spanish and police said none of them were previously known to the security services for terror-related reasons.

Meanwhile, the grandfather of seven-year-old Julian Alessandro Cadman made a plea for information about the boy, who became separated from his mother during the attack in Barcelona. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.