Newspaper article The Canadian Press

In Wake of Barcelona Attack, CNE Reassures Visitors Event Is Safe

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

In Wake of Barcelona Attack, CNE Reassures Visitors Event Is Safe

Article excerpt

CNE reassures visitors event is safe

--

TORONTO - The organizers of the Canadian National Exhibition, which opened its gates on Friday -- one day after two deadly terrorist attacks in Spain -- are reassuring the public that the Toronto event will be safe.

They said the security plans for the 18-day fair were modified earlier this year following a number of terrorists attacks in Europe in which cars were used as deadly weapons.

"We have hardened some areas around the site that we thought were vulnerable," said Virginia Ludy, the event's CEO. "So we have taken measures so that we can prevent incidents of the nature that we heard about yesterday."

Thursday's van attack in Barcelona killed 13 people and injured 120, while a car attack early Friday in the Spanish seaside resort of Cambrils left one dead and five injured.

Spanish authorities have said Canada is among 34 countries with citizens killed or injured in the attacks. Global Affairs said Canadians were "affected" by the attacks, but didn't provide further details, citing privacy concerns. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.