Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Hulme

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Hulme

Article excerpt

WELCOME to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now.

This week's picture shows the junction of Chorlton Road with Stretford Road in Hulme.

The photographer was standing on Chorlton Road looking north toward the current location of the Mancunian Way roundabout. The city centre mix of housing, businesses and shops in our main image have been replaced by houses. There are no more cobbles or tram tracks.

Hulme expanded massively in the first half of the 19th century as people flocked to Manchester to work in the newly built factories and mills.

The number of people living in the area multiplied 50 times over.

Hulme Hall was demolished in 1840 to make way for the Bridgewater Canal and low-cost slum homes for new workers. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.