Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Oxford Road

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Oxford Road

Article excerpt

WELCOME to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now.

This week's photograph shows Oxford Road looking towards the city centre in 1900.

Grosvenor Square is on the left. Horse-drawn trams and buses are strongly in evidence - as are the tram tracks, cobblestones and gas lamps common at the turn of the century.

All Saints Church once occupied what is now the garden in Grosvenor Square and still gives its name to the area of the city.

Consecrated in April 1820, the church consisted of a chancel, nave, aisles and a distinctive domed tower.

The church was partially destroyed by fire in February 1850 but reopened by Christmas the same year.

All Saints was badly damaged by bombs in the Manchester Blitz of 1940 and demolished a few years later. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.