Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Moston Lane

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Moston Lane

Article excerpt

WELCOME to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now.

This week's main photograph, dating from 1924, shows Moston Lane at the junction with Clough Road.

On the right, near the bend, is Moston Lane Community Primary School. Clough Road is to the left of the view.

The cobblestones of the original road are still in evidence in the 1924 picture, as are the isolated gas lamps.

Moston gets its name from the Old English words moss, meaning marsh or bog, and ton, meaning a town or settlement.

It was originally countryside until the 16th century, when the area became a centre for washing and bleaching fabric for the linen treatment industry.

In the 18th and 19th centuries, Moston played a major role in Manchester's cotton industry as part of the northern sector of what was known as Cottonopolis. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.