Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Piccadilly Gardens Bus Station

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now Piccadilly Gardens Bus Station

Article excerpt

Welcome to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now

THIS week it's the turn of the Manchester Piccadilly Gardens Bus Station looking from Portland Street.

Our original image dates from 1935.

Once again it is raining, but travellers can shelter under the distinctive art deco-style canopies as they wait for their buses.

The bus station was opened on the site of the demolished Manchester Royal Infirmary in 1931.

It was extended in 1932 to 1933 and ran the full length of Parker Street by 1935.

The infirmary was built in 1755 on the street called Lever's Row which continued south-east as Piccadilly. Next to the infirmary was a psychiatric hospital. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.