Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Five Hospitalized after Carbon Monoxide Leak Forces Evacuation of N.B. Building

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Five Hospitalized after Carbon Monoxide Leak Forces Evacuation of N.B. Building

Article excerpt

Five hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak

--

SAINT JOHN, N.B. - Five people have been hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak at a public housing unit forced the evacuation of around 30 residents in New Brunswick, a fire official said on Saturday.

Steve Voutour, platoon chief of the Saint John fire department, said emergency crews were called to the six-unit townhouse at around 10 p.m. on Friday after the carbon monoxide detector went off.

The property's lease holder and her mother heard the alarm, and without a key to the building, forced their way inside, said Voutour, potentially risking exposure to carbon monoxide.

"It's odourless, it's colourless, it's tasteless. You don't know what's going on," he said Saturday in an interview. "It's a silent killer."

Neighbours also heard the alarm, said Voutour, and the lease holder contacted emergency responders, who attended to three people in a unit where a boiler was installed. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.