Newspaper article The Canadian Press

RCMP Won't Appeal Conviction on Labour Code Charges Related to Moncton Shooting

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

RCMP Won't Appeal Conviction on Labour Code Charges Related to Moncton Shooting

Article excerpt

RCMP won't appeal Labour Code conviction

--

OTTAWA - The RCMP says it will not appeal its conviction on Labour Code charges related to a 2014 shooting in Moncton, N.B., that left three officers dead and two injured.

The force was convicted in September of failing to provide members with the appropriate training and equipment to deal with an active shooter event.

It was sentenced in January to pay $550,000, including a $100,000 fine and $450,000 in charitable donations.

The RCMP said in a statement that it will pay the penalties set out in the decision from New Brunswick Provincial Court Judge Leslie Jackson.

"While this concludes the legal process ... that day will continue to live with us forever," the force's statement read.

"We will never forget our fallen, (Constables) Doug Larche, Dave Ross and Fabrice Gevaudan, and the sacrifice they made. We must also continue to support all others who were affected that day by this tragic event."

In sentencing the force, Jackson said high-powered carbine rifles could have made a difference for the officers targeted by gunman Justin Bourque. The guns were approved in 2011, but their rollout was repeatedly delayed.

"It is clear to me ... that the provision of carbines to responding members on June 4, 2014, could have reduced the number of deaths and/or injuries," Jackson said during sentencing last month, while acknowledging that the force's post-incident response has been "robust. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.