Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Greitens Resigns from National Republican Governors Association Leadership Post

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Greitens Resigns from National Republican Governors Association Leadership Post

Article excerpt

WASHINGTON * Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens, under felony indictment, has resigned his position on the executive committee of the Republican Governors Association.

The announcement Friday came as Greitens told the group that he would not be attending the separate National Governors Association's annual winter meeting this weekend here.

Greitens was indicted by a St. Louis grand jury on a felony invasion of privacy charge for allegedly transmitting a non-consensual photo of a partly nude lover. The governor, in a written statement, called the indictment a "misguided political decision" by a "reckless liberal prosecutor." St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner is a Democrat.

Republican Governors Association Executive Director Paul Bennecke released a statement saying that Greitens "informed us last night that he is going to remain in Missouri this weekend to fight back against what his team has called a baseless charge."

The statement continued: "Given his desire to focus his full attention on moving forward in Missouri, he also no longer intends to serve on the executive committee of the RGA. We look forward to a quick resolution of this issue. Our thoughts and prayers are with Gov. Greitens and his family."

Greitens was expected to participate in sessions on homeland security at the Pentagon, and on veterans issues during the National Governors Association meeting.

A St. Louis grand jury indicted Greitens, and a warrant for his arrest was issued Thursday. A Post-Dispatch reporter saw Greitens with sheriff's deputies in the hallway of the Carnahan Courthouse about 3:45 p.m. Officials later confirmed that Greitens had been taken into custody and booked at the St. Louis Justice Center.

Sheriff Vernon Betts confirmed that Greitens was never handcuffed.

"We weren't going to treat him like a common criminal," Betts said Friday.

Greitens was released on a personal recognizance bond with a provision allowing him to travel freely in the United States.

After Greitens was led away, the courtroom doors were locked. Greitens' attorneys left the building about 5:30 p.m., about the time an SUV with blacked-out windows left from a loading dock in the back of the courthouse. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.