Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Edmonton Dangerous Offender Files Notice of Appeal of Convictions, Sentence

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Edmonton Dangerous Offender Files Notice of Appeal of Convictions, Sentence

Article excerpt

Edmonton dangerous offender files notice of appeal

--

EDMONTON - An Edmonton man with a history of making violent attacks is appealing his latest convictions and his designation as a dangerous offender.

The dangerous offender designation handed to Lance Blanchard last month means he could be held in prison indefinitely.

Blanchard was convicted in 2016 of kidnapping and sexually assaulting an Indigenous woman who was jailed to ensure her testimony.

He was also convicted of aggravated assault, unlawful confinement, possession of a weapon and other charges.

Tom Engel, Blanchard's lawyer, filed the notice of appeal Tuesday.

The appeal document says the convictions and sentence were unreasonable and included errors in law.

In his ruling last month, Justice Eric Macklin of Court of Queen's Bench said Blanchard, 60, posed a high risk for both violent and sexual recidivism. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.