Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now ROCHDALE ROAD

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now ROCHDALE ROAD

Article excerpt

Welcome to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now

HIS week we feature a scene from Rochdale Road, Blackley, that looks like it has come from another era.

The original photograph, taken in 1910, shows Rochdale Road on the right leading out of Manchester. The trees on the far right are in Boggart Hole Clough.

The left-hand fork, leading up the hill, is Old Road. This is now listed as a little street off Rochdale Road called Cambridge Road. There's a church on the corner of Old Road.

Tram tracks and overhead power lines are still strongly in evidence on Rochdale Road in the original image, along with cobblestones and gas lamps.

Blackley was once a rural village to the north of Manchester, but became part of the city's urban spread during the mass house-building of the late Victorian period and early 20th century. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.