Newspaper article The Canadian Press

--Atlantic Update-

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

--Atlantic Update-

Article excerpt

---

(NB-Flooding)

Emergency officials say floodwaters are finally starting to drop across southern New Brunswick -- but it could still be days before people forced out of their homes can return.

Geoffrey Downey of the Emergency Measures Organization says water levels in Saint John this morning were down about 10 centimetres from yesterday at about 5.6 metres -- while Fredericton saw a drop of about 30 centimetres to about 7.7 metres.

But Downey says water levels are expected to remain high for days with Saint John predicted to fall below flood stage by Saturday.

He says even then, people may still not be able to get into their homes in flooded areas further north like Grand Lake and Jemseg. (The Canadian Press)

---

(NS-Fentanyl)

Testing has confirmed a package seized during a routine search at the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility in Halifax contained fentanyl.

A government release says it's the first confirmed case of the potentially lethal opioid at a provincial correctional facility in Nova Scotia.

The package was found in a routine search during admission at the facility on February 9th and sent for testing.

Halifax Regional Police are continuing to investigate the incident. (The Canadian Press)

---

(NS-WCB-Strike)

The union representing workers at the Nova Scotia Workers Compensation Board says it has been given a strong strike mandate as it enters conciliation talks today.

The Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union says the members of Local 55 have voted 83 per cent in favour of strike action to back their demands at the bargaining table.

N-S-G-E-U president Jason MacLean says the workers were motivated by what he calls "significant threats to job security" as the W-C-B transforms operations.

The two sides are entering the conciliation process with talks set for today and tomorrow. (The Canadian Press)

---

(NL-Salmon-Fishing)

The Newfoundland and Labrador government says there will likely be no licences available for the start of the salmon fishing season in the province.

Fisheries Minister Gerry Byrne is blaming the federal fisheries department for changing salmon retention limits without consultation.

Byrne says the feds have unilaterally changed all rivers to a class two status -- limiting the catch to one fish per licence -- when the province had been told there would be a range of up to class six rivers, with a catch limit of six. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.