Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now ST JOHN STREET

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now ST JOHN STREET

Article excerpt

Welcome to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now

THIS week, our main image features St John Street, off Deansgate, in 1900. St John's church, dating from the 18th century, dominates the view.

St John's was completed in 1770 by Edward Byrom, co-founder of the first bank in Manchester. It was a memorial to his father John Byrom, the famous writer, poet and diarist and inventor of shorthand.

The church was the first major Gothic Revival style building in Manchester. The church bells, described as being among the best peals in Manchester, were rehung in 1832 and 1883.

A declining congregation at St John's church led to it being merged with nearby St Matthew's in 1927. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.