Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now GORTON MONASTERY

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now GORTON MONASTERY

Article excerpt

Welcome to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now

OUR main image, dating from 1915, shows the imposing Church and Friary of St Francis, known locally as Gorton Monastery.

The photograph was taken from Gorton Lane.

The Gothic frontage of the church soars above the two-storey Victorian terrace homes and shops.

It still dominates the skyline today. The Franciscans came to Gorton in December 1861 and built the friary themselves in four years from 1863 to 1867.

The church was completed in 1872. Gorton Monastery is an outstanding example of High Victorian Gothic architecture.

It was designed by Edward Welby Pugin, the son of the famous Gothic revivalist Augustus Welby Pugin. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.