Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now WILMSLOW ROAD

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

Then & Now WILMSLOW ROAD

Article excerpt

Welcome to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now

HIS week our main image shows Wilmslow Road, Didsbury, in the late 1800s.

The red-brick Victorian buildings that are now The Stoker's Arms and Dog and Partridge pubs look almost new!

Offices and shops, including a barber's, line the street.

Traffic consists of horse-drawn carriages and hand-carts plying their way under the prominent gas lamps.

The memorial clock tower and drinking fountain dedicated to Dr J Milson Rhodes at the centre of Didsbury village would not be built until 1910.

Standing at the edge of the former railway station forecourt, the clock tower is Grade II listed and forms an architectural group with the war memorial and public library on the opposite side of the road. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.