Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Family Drops Lawsuit over 16-Year-Old Who Didn't Make the Ladue High Soccer Team

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Family Drops Lawsuit over 16-Year-Old Who Didn't Make the Ladue High Soccer Team

Article excerpt

ST. LOUIS - A federal lawsuit filed when a 16-year-old boy at Ladue Horton Watkins High School didn't make the soccer team has been dismissed after a separate complaint was referred to mediation, lawyers said Wednesday.

The student's mother and stepfather sued last month, claiming age and sex discrimination played a role when the boy barely missed making the varsity team but also failed to make junior varsity. They were told that juniors aren't put on JV so that freshmen and sophomores can polish their talents.

U.S. District Court Judge John A. Ross disagreed in an Oct. 1 ruling, declining to immediately force the school to put the boy on the JV team. Ross ruled that participation in interscholastic athletics is not a right but a privilege and said the student was not suffering any legal harm. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.