Newspaper article The Topeka Capital-Journal

Shayok Shoots Down Wildcats

Newspaper article The Topeka Capital-Journal

Shayok Shoots Down Wildcats

Article excerpt

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — First Iowa State cut into the Kansas State Wildcats’ lead, then Marial Shayok cut their hearts out.

Shayok’s back-to-back 3-pointers from the right corner got the Cyclones even with less than 2:53 left, then put them in front for good exactly a minute later Friday night as Iowa State rallied late for a 63-59 Big 12 Tournament semifinal victory over K-State at Sprint Center.

It was a heartbreaker for the Wildcats, who erased a 10-point halftime deficit to lead by five, 55-50, on a Barry Brown jumper with 2:45 to go, only to see Iowa State close the game on a 13-4 run.

Shayok had 21 points to lead the Cyclones, who improved to 22-11 heading to Saturday’s 5 p.m. final. Iowa State also got 12 points from Topeka native Nick Weiler-Babb, including two free throws to start the late run, plus eight points and 16 rebounds from Michael Jacobson.

All five starters scored in double figures for K-State (25-8), led by Cartier Diarra with 15 points, Brown 13, Xavier Sneed 11 and Makol Mawien and Kamau Stokes with 10 each.

In a back-and-forth game with an NCAA Tournament atmosphere, K-State came back to tie the game at 38 on a Diarra 3-pointer with 15:01 left. Talen Horton-Tucker’s layup and a Lindell Wigginton 3-pointer put Iowa State back up by five, but then it was the Wildcats’ turn.

Brown answered with a three, Diarra’s free throw at the 12:16 mark cut it to 43-42, and a Sneed corner 3-pointer to beat the shot clock gave K-State the lead. Weiler-Babb tied it for Iowa State, but consecutive baskets by Mawien and Brown gave K-State a 49-45 advantage, prompting Iowa State to call time with 9:34 to go.

Back-to-back baskets from Mawien and Brown again put K-State up five, but that was the end for the Wildcats, who scored just four points over the last 2:45.

K-State hit its first three shots of the second period, including back-to-back 3-pointers from Stokes and Diarra, then cut Iowa State’s 10-point halftime advantage to 38-35 on Stokes’ two free throws with 17:32 to play.

Iowa State turned the ball over four times in first four minutes and K-State tied it at 38 on Diarra’s second three of the half with 15:01 to play. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.