Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Trudeau Taps Veteran to Run Liberal Re-Election Campaign, Loses Star Recruit

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Trudeau Taps Veteran to Run Liberal Re-Election Campaign, Loses Star Recruit

Article excerpt

Trudeau names national campaign director

--

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made a bid Wednesday to mobilize old-guard Liberals in the coming federal election campaign even as he lost another of his star rookie recruits from the last campaign.

Trudeau chose veteran Liberal Jeremy Broadhurst to run the governing party's bid for re-election this fall. Broadhurst, who is currently serving as chief of staff to Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland, is to take on new duties as national campaign director by May 13.

The appointment signals an attempt to reach out to long-time Liberals, some of whom have privately grumbled that their experience has not been tapped or valued by the Trudeau team.

At the same time, retired lieutenant-general Andrew Leslie announced he won't seek re-election after serving just one term as the Liberal MP for the Ottawa riding of Orleans.

Leslie, a former commander of the Canadian army, was one of a number of so-called stars recruited by Trudeau to run in 2015. But despite his advance billing and a pre-election role as foreign-policy and defence adviser to the Liberal leader, Leslie never made it into cabinet.

"After 40 years of public service ... I think it's time for a different path for myself," Leslie said Wednesday, referring to the combined years he's spent in the military and politics.

"There's other things I want to do as a private citizen ... and it's time," he added, declining to reveal his future plans.

Leslie said a period of reflection following recent shoulder-replacement surgery was "one of the big triggers" for his decision.

Leslie's announced departure follows Trudeau's decision last month to expel two other star recruits from 2015 -- Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott -- from the Liberal caucus. The former ministers, who quit cabinet amid the furor over the SNC-Lavalin affair, will not be allowed to run under the Liberal banner this fall. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.