Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Saint John Police Chief Says Oland Murder Investigation No Longer Active

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Saint John Police Chief Says Oland Murder Investigation No Longer Active

Article excerpt

Oland investigation no longer active: chief

--

FREDERICTON - The Saint John Police Force said Wednesday it is not actively investigating the 2011 killing of multi-millionaire businessman Richard Oland despite last month's acquittal of Oland's son on a charge of second-degree murder in the case.

Police Chief Bruce Connell made the statement the day after New Brunswick's Public Prosecution Services announced they will not appeal Dennis Oland's acquittal.

Dennis Oland was charged in the bludgeoning death of his father in Saint John, N.B. He spent close to a year in prison after being convicted by a jury in 2015. That verdict was overturned on appeal in 2016, and his second trial before judge alone resulted in a ruling of not guilty July 19.

Justice Terrence Morrison of the New Brunswick Court of Queen's Bench found that Crown prosecutors failed to prove their case against Oland beyond a reasonable doubt.

Defence lawyer Alan Gold has said his client was the victim of police tunnel vision. After the ruling he called on the Saint John force to "reinvigorate" its investigation and "find the real perpetrators of this terrible, terrible crime." But the police chief says the investigation is done.

"It is the function of the Saint John Police Force to complete an investigation then turn the file over to the Crown prosecutor's office. The Crown decides if there is sufficient evidence to warrant a charge, as was done with this case," Connell said in a statement.

"Our investigators worked closely with the Crown prosecutors assigned to this file, both during the initial investigation and the follow up."

Connell said while the investigation is no longer active, police will consider any additional information or evidence that comes to their attention.

That statement drew a disappointed reaction from the Oland family.

"The family of Dennis Oland would certainly renew its offer of a reward, something that may provide the police with additional information or new evidence, which Chief Connell has suggested is required for further investigation to take place," they wrote in a statement released through their lawyer William Teed. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.