ON TUESDAY, MAY 25, we began to hear rumors that Milosevic was to be indicted by the International Criminal Tribunal. I had been one of several individuals that Chief Prosecutor Louise Arbour had spoken with as she began to take legal action against Milosevic. In our conversation she acknowledged that this would be a highly sensitive decision, but she did not tip her hand as far as what evidence she had. I told her that I would be happy to testify eventually, recounting how Milosevic had admitted advance knowledge of some of General Mladic's plans for Srebrenica in 1995.
On Wednesday evening I got a call from the State Department. It's true, I was told, Milosevic will be indicted tomorrow. I was also informed that some in the Pentagon and the White House were unhappy about this.
I understood the concerns that some in Washington had. An indictment on war crimes charges would rule out the possibility of conducting direct negotiations with Milosevic. It might even harden his will to resist, though this was unpredictable. But I was more concerned about the attitudes of NATO governments, and from this perspective, I reckoned, an indictment was a huge win. Nothing was more likely to stiffen