Tuoro.—83 M. Passignano (Alb. Balducci, R. 1 fr.), with an ancient castle and a bathing-establishment on the lake. Steamer, see p. 60. Two tunnels.—89½ M. Magione, with an old fortress of the Baglioni, lies 2 M. and 4 M. respectively from Torricella and San Feliciano (p. 60). — 96½ M. Ellera. Short tunnel.
102½ M. Perugia (994 ft.; Rail. Restaurant), picturesquely situated on the hill to the left, see p. 67.
83 M. Narrow Gauge Railway (Ferrovia Appennino Centrale): two through-trains daily in 5¾-8½ hrs. (fares 5 fr. 35, 3 fr. 85 c.).
Arezzo, see p. 51.—The train diverges from the line to Rome (p. 56) and begins to ascend more rapidly towards the hills to the S.E. of Arezzo, affording a picturesque retrospect of the town and plain. It mounts as far as the Scopetone, the W. parallel chain of the Umbrian Apennines, separating the valleys of the Arno and Tiber. This part of the line, the most interesting from an engineering point of view, traverses 20 tunnels and several viaducts.— Beyond (11 M.) Palazzo del Pero ( 1325 ft.) we descend to the N.E. through the wooded valley of the Cerfone, a tributary of the Tiber. —19½ M. Ville-Monterchi (1023 ft.) in a hollow, from which a steeper ascent leads northwards to (20 M.) Citerna (1049 ft.).— 24 M. Anghiari (1109 ft.), a small town ( 1927 inhab.) picturesquely situated on a hill ( 1407 ft.).—The train traverses the highly cultivated plain, once a lake-basin, crosses the Tiber, and reaches —
28 M. San Sepolcro or Borgo San Sepolcro (1082 ft.; Alb. Fiorentin, Via Venti Settembre), a little town with 4537 inhab. and old walls, at the foot of the Alpe della Luna (4769 ft.). It was the birthplace of Piero della Francesca (ca. 1420-92; comp. p. 52), who may be studied here to advantage, and of Raffaello dal Colle ( 1490-1540), a pupil of Raphael. Hurried travellers may see the points of interest in about two hours.
About 300 yds. from the station we pass through the Porta Fiorentina to the right into the Via Venti Settembre, which leads to the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele Secondo. The Via Barbagliati soon diverges to the right to the Piazza Santa Chiara, where the church of Santa Chiara contains an Assumption by Piero d'Antonio Dei and a fine Nativity in the style of the Robbla. — On a house on the left in the Via Venti Settembre (No. 20) is a Romanesque frieze in relief.
The Piazza Vittorio Emannele Secondo adjoins the Piazza Garibaldi, on the left of which stands the Palazzo del Comune, containing a small Picture Gallery (open all day; fee). Among the chief paintings, mostly brought from the churches of the town, are the following: *Piero della Francesca, Resurrection (fresco), Madonna