considering it unsafe to remain longer as high up as St. Charles descended to the Mississippi ? Having but one regiment with me which was entirely insufficient to protect both sides from the attacks of Guerrillas & hold the town & ensure safety to the transport 'White Cloud' laden with stores for Gen. Curtis' command. The Regt. & transports accompanied the Gun Boats to the Mouth of White River to await farther orders. At this place your letter of instructions of 26th inst. was handed me, and in obedience thereto and to former instructions, this command will proceed again up White river, and I beg that you will send without delay another transport with 200 or 300 Cavalry, —which are indispensable in scouring the country & protecting the Infantry from the annoyance of Guerrillas. They can join this command at St. Charles or above. The excessive heat & character of the country render the assistance of Cavalry highly necessary, indeed almost indispensable. The route from St. Charles a few miles back of that town is through a prairie country, through which rove mounted rangers in addition to foot guerrillas. In my dispatch to Major. Gen. Wallace which you may have seen I stated that he undoubtedly could have passed Duvall's Bluff which was then only partially fortified without much difficulty if the gun boats could have been prevailed upon to proceed up the river but that the Bluff would be strengthened as soon as the enemy discovered we had returned down the river. I am now advised that there are 2 or 3 heavy guns mounted there, with a considerable force of Infantry. —It will be necessary to successfully attack that place for an additional force of Infantry besides the Cavalry to be sent, as I fully stated to Genl. Wallace & if it is absolutely necessary to open communication with Gen. Curtis I would respectfully ask that you send the reinforcements of Infantry and Cavalry as soon as possible in light transports with rations for the troops, the transports can be used if necessary to lighten the boats now freighted for Genl. Curtiss. — Upon a consultation just had with the commanders of the Gunboat fleet I fear that they will refuse to escort the troops & transports any farther than St. Charles and thus for the third time compel the expedition to return. Above Duval's we could proceed without aid of Gun boats, as we could indeed from St. Charles with a force of 4000 Infantry & a corresponding number of Cavalry & guns. —" ALS, DNA, RG 393, Dept. of the Mo., Letters Received.
BY TELEGRAPH FROM Memphis [June] 27th 186
To MAJ. GEN. L HALLECK
I have sent one Regt. of Infy. & 5 Co.s of Cav. beyond Germantown in hopes of opening the R. R. & telegraph 1 with the aid of one Division from Corinth I think it practicable to occupy Holly Springs, 2 Hernando & an intermediate point be