Brigade & I will maintain it, or if you say so I will detach from here & Bethel & try & do it. Meantime I will proceed to execute the order of removal to Bolivar. Save me the mortification of falling back if you can consistently." Telegram received, DNA, RG 393, Dept. of the Mo., Telegrams Received; copy, McClernand Papers, IHi. Col. Mortimer D. Leggett, commanding at Grand Junction, telegraphed to USG the same day. "I hope you will concede Gen. McClernand's request & allow me to hold Grand Junction. By moving forw.d one Brigade to Bolivar, part of one to Middleburg & two Co.s of Cav. to my command, I can hold this position against any force that there is any probability of being brought against us. The Union sentiment is being rapidly developed in the Country around. A large No. of Citizens have voluntarily taken oath of allegiance. They are now bringing in their Cotton at rates of 200 bales a day. 700 bales now here to be destroyed as soon as we leave & by the order we must leave in a few hours. With my present force, I am perfectly safe for several days yet. I shall be off very soon unless ordered to remain." Telegram received, DNA, RG 393, Dept. of the Mo., Telegrams Received. On the same day, McClernand telegraphed to USG. "There are said to be 500 bales of Cotton at Grand Junction. I have instructed Col. Leggett not to leave there, until the public property is secured. I suppose Genls. Sherman's & Hurlbut will observe the same course. Col. Leggett says he will maintain the Junction, with some re-inforcement." Telegram received, ibid. ; copy, McClernand Papers, IHi. McClernand telegraphed the substance of the preceding telegram to Maj. Gen. Henry W. Halleck. Telegram received, DNA, RG 393, Dept. of the Mo., Telegrams Received; copy, McClernand Papers, IHi. Halleck endorsed the telegram to USG. "If in the opinion of Genl Grant & Genl McClernand an out post can be safely kept up for the present at Grand Junction, in order to remove the cotton, they will so order." AE, DNA, RG 393, Dept. of the Mo., Telegrams Received. On July 17, McClernand telegraphed to USG. "I am rejoiced that you have determined to hold Grand Junction. What would be the opinion if we should give it up to the enemy I will not answer A brigade started from here by day light for Bolivar Genl Ross will command the forces there and at Grand Junction. My plan was for Genl Ross to march towards the Junction 6 or 7 miles before Col Leggett should leave for Bolivar. Your order to hold the place will be obeyed" Telegram received, ibid. See also Sherman to Maj. John A. Rawlins, July 25, copy, ibid., RG 94, Generals' Papers and Books, William T. Sherman, Letters Sent. O. R., I, xvii, part 2, 121-23.
Corinth July 17th 1862
Morgans 1 division will not move until monday. 2 Should the Clothing spoken of in your dispatch, arrive after that time, it can be sent immediately to them by Rail. Supplies will have to be sent in that way. I will be out to see you tomorrow, and will have