By Telegraph from Chattanooga Nov 29th 
FOR MAJ GENL HURLBUT
I have directed all the organized force that can be spared from Springfield Chicago and Indianapolis to be ordered immediately to Columbus Ky. 1
A force of some four regiments have been ordered from Eastport to Nashville by River. 2 orders have gone to Commanding officer at Pulaski 3 to turn them to Columbus also if they have not already passed that place. 4 When you get these reinforcements, make your own disposition of them.
U. S. GRANT
Telegram, copies, DLC-USG, V, 34, 35; DNA, RG 393, Military Div. of the Miss., Letters Sent; ibid., 16th Army Corps, Letters Received; ibid., District of Western Ky., Unentered Letters Received. O. R., I, xxxi, part 3, 276. On Nov. 23, 1863, Maj. Gen. Stephen A. Hurlbut telegraphed to USG. "Steele has sent me two regts and does not intend to send any more Tuttles Division can be moved to Eastport but it will take every spare man from this road if Corinth is held I must hold the road and can only hold it with Tuttles command if I am authorized to abandon Corinth I can draw my force to LaGrange or Moscow & be strong enough for the present The rebels are repairing the road to Tupelo Oxford and Panola and we may expect them in force Iron will be forwarded as fast aswe get it but we have no trains from Corinth to Hamburg & are informed will get none from Saint Louis The 15th Corps has all my trains—1 will send four or six engines to Nashville as requested I have not now twenty five hundred disposal Infantry My cavalry is now at work West Tenn is full of Rebel Cavalry I want (?) preemptory orders to move Tuttle to Eastport because it involves of necessity the abandonment of Corinth or its capture if attempted to be held as soon as the vessels of the Marine Brigade report they will be sent forward but they are too deep for the Tenn and A J Smith has his hands