of the département agreed to a proposal put forward by Lartigue for a 10 1/2 mile (17 km) long monorail between the towns of Feurs and Panissières: the agreement was reached on the casting vote of the Chairman, a contact of Lartigue. A concession was granted to successive companies with which Lartigue was closely involved, but construction of the line was attended by muddle, delay and perhaps fraud, although it was completed sufficiently for trial trains to operate. The locomotive had two horizontal boilers, one either side of the track. But the inspectors of the department found deficiencies in the completeness and probable safety of the railway; when they did eventually agree to opening on a limited scale, the company claimed to have insufficient funds to do so unless monies owed by the department were paid. In the end the concession was forfeited and the line dismantled. More successful was an electrically operated Lartigue mineral line built at mines in the eastern Pyrenees. It appears to have reused equipment from the electric demonstration line, with modifications, and included gradients as steep as 1 in 12. There was no generating station: descending trains generated the electricity to power ascending ones. This line is said to have operated for at least two years.
See also: Brennan, Louis;Palmer, Henry Robinson.
fl. c.1895 England
In 1895 Lascelles patented a system of pre-cast concrete panels that were affixed to wooden framing. This type of construction was intended for low-cost housing, and a number of examples were constructed in the Croydon area of Surrey, where Lascelles lived. The panels, in the fashion of the day, were decoratively moulded with classical borders and floral or geometric patterning. They were large, being about 1 1/2 in. (38 mm) thick and measuring about 3 ft×2 ft 6 in. (91 cm×76 cm), and were manufactured from Portland Cement mixed with powdered coke. The system was adopted by several architects.
See Bateman, John Frederick La Trobe.
b. 1857 Montmartre, France
Lauste was a prolific inventor who as a 22-year-old had more than fifty patents to his name. He joined Edison's West Orange Laboratory as Assistant to W.K.L.Dickson in 1887; he was soon involved in the development of early motion pictures, beginning an association with the cinema that was to dominate the rest of his working life. He left Edison in 1892 to pursue an interest in petrol engines, but within two years he returned to cinematography, where, in association with Major Woodville Latham, he introduced small but significant improvements to film- projection systems. In 1900 an interest in sound recording, dating back to his early days with Edison, led Lauste to begin exploring the possibility of recording sound photographically on film alongside the picture. In 1904 he moved to England,