by Augustine Ryther, 1 who made some of the maps of the Spanish invasion, and who kept a shop near Leadenhall, and procured a translation of Petruccio Ubaldini's Discourse, which he dedicated to the Lord Admiral Howard in 1590. The county-maps, dedicated to the queen and adorned with the royal arms, and those of the promoter, Master Sekeford, were published by Saxton in 1579 ; the dates on different plates 2 showing that the labour of six years—that is, from 1574 to 1579, both included—had been bestowed on them. Saxton is commended by Camden and Thoresby, the latter of whom 3 calls his map of Yorkshire the best that ever was made of that county. This rare map was three feet wide ; at one corner was a view of York; at another, of Hull. Augustine Ryther had the chief hand in engraving it.
of Antwerp, was probably in England, mention being made 5 of a map of Bristol by him; and he certainly engraved a____________________