The following brief contribution is offered in sincere admiration for an honoured colleague and a good friend.
The object presented here (ROM accession no. 907.18.841) is the bottom half of a painted wooden stela of a familiar type, the top portion of which has been sawn off, probably in modern times. The present measurements are.46 x.22m.; the thickness is about six centimeters. The hieroglyphs are for the most part carefully and accurately executed. Traces at the bottom edge show clearly that two feet were once attached, which, according to Munro, would suggest a date in the Ptolemaic Period. The front face and inscribed edges have been varnished but the reverse side, also inscribed, has not been so treated. Across the back, a few inches from the top, the shallow beginnings of a narrow saw-cut show that an earlier and greater reduction in size of the stela was originally contemplated but abandoned.
The stela was seen by Spiegelberg in Naville's excavation house at Deir el-Bahri in 1898 and the titles published by him appear in Recueil de travaux 35 (1913), p. 40. The inscriptions commemorate a many-tided priest of Thebes named Nes-pauty-tawy (/espot/û), the list of whose livings extended beyond the Theban area into that of Esna in southern Upper Egypt. In view of the extent of his interests, it is somewhat surprising that he is not known from other monuments.
The texts are as follows:
… the offering-table of Onnofer for the ka of the god's father, prophet of Amun-re king of the gods, the stolist in Het-khenet,1
1 A place by this name lay near Esna (Gardiner, AEO, 11).