Most of these documents are given in Latin, with an English translation, by Richard Sharpe in his book Raasay: a Study in Island History: Documents and Sources, People and Places, where they will be found on the pages indicated.
The estate of Lewis had been forfeited in 1506 because Torcall, chief at that time, had strongly supported a bid to revive the Lordship of the Isles. A Crown charter of 1511, granted by James IV, restored the lands of Lewis to the MacLeods. However, the estate was not restored to Torcall, but to his younger brother, Calum MacLeod. The Latin charter, and its translation, is as given by Richard Sharpe, Documents and Sources, p. 64:
Apud Edinburgh, 29 Jun.
REX concessit et pro bono servitio quitteclamavit MALCOLMO MAKCLODE filio
et heredi quondam Rory Makcolde de Lewis, et heredibus dicti Malc., - terras
et castrum de Lewis et Wattirnes, infra dominium Insularum: terras de Assent,
infra comitatum de Sutherland, et terras de Coidgeaich, infra vic. Rossie, vic.
Invernys: cum fortaliciis, domibus, edificis, lacubus, piscationibus, advocatione
et donatione ecclesiarum et capellaniarum, una cum molendinis annexis etc:-
quequidem in manibus regis ratione forisfacturae, nonintroitus seu alias extiter-
unt: - et quas rex incorporavit in unam liberam baroniam et dominium de
Lewis et castrum de Stornochway voluit principale messuagium fore earundem:
REDDEND: regi servitium debitum et consuetum: salva comiti de Sutherland
superioritate terrarum de Assent si de eo prius tenebantur. TEST.
At Edinburgh, 29 June 1511
The KING has granted and in return for loyal services has released to Calum
MacLeod, son and heir of the late Ruairidh MacLeod of Lewis, and to the
heirs of the said Calum, all claim on the lands and castle of Lewis and Vaternish,
in the Lordship of the Isles: the lands of Assynt in the County of Sutherland,
and the lands of Coigeach, part in Ross and part in Inverness, together with
the fortalices, houses and buildings, lochs and fisheries, the advowson and
presentment of churches and chapels, and also the attached mills etc. These
lands came into the King's hands by reason of forfeiture, nonentry or other
means. The King has conjoined them into one free barony and Lordship of
Lewis, and has wished that the castle of Stornoway be the principal seat of
the same. Due in return: the accustomed service owed to the King, and greeting
to the Earl of Sutherland, as superior of the lands of Assynt, formerly held of
him. Witnessed etc.