1. Editors' note: The author provides here in the original text a longer and more detailed tabular summary of what he perceives as the problems and defects of the teaching and learning situations in Hong Kong universities, regarding 'delivery-mode' teaching, lack of student motivation to learn, insufficient interaction, lack of conceptual thinking, the habit of rote learning, limited language abilities, plagiarism, and other matters. This table has been omitted, for the purposes of this volume, since extensive discussion of such issues is undertaken in the articles in Part II of this volume.
1. The importance of good teaching and learning has been stressed at all levels of higher education, up to the level of the funding authority. But improved learning and teaching has its costs, economic and otherwise, for all involved.
1. The elements of a strategy that can carry the university to the goals can be gathered together under the acronym AURORA: Ambiance, Undergraduate education, Research, Outreach, Reward system, and Accountability.
2. The Academic Learning Support Services offers learning assistance to students at the City University of Hong Kong. Students can consult a Learning Adviser to talk about study-related issues.
3. Editors' note: It may be added that though WebCT is widely used in Hong Kong universities, some teachers have criticized it as designed for the 'content delivery' mode of pedagogy, despite its administrative advantages.