1. Szasz T. The Second Sin. London: Routledge Kegan and Paul, 1974.
2. Bufill JA. Patients need patience rather than the latest technology. St. Louis Post-Dispatch, March 20, 2000, p. D17.
3. Stolberg SG. On Medicine's frontier: The last journey of James Quinn. The New York Times, October 8, 2002, p. D1.
4. How a new policy led to seven deadly drugs; Medicine: Once a wary watchdog, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration set out to become a "partner" of the pharmaceutical industry; today, the American public has more remedies, but some are proving lethal. Los Angeles Times, December 20, 2000, p. A1.
5. Writing Group for the Women's Health Initiative Investigators. Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women. JAMA 2002; 288: 321–333.
6. Moseley JB, O'Malley K, Petersen NJ, Menke TJ, Brody BA, Kuykendall DH, et al. A controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee. N Engl J Med 2002; 347: 81–88.
7. Bartley N. Cancer mistake ravages a life. Seattle Times, April 25, 2001, p. B1.
8. Stadtmauer EA, O'Neill A, Goldstein LJ, Crilley PA, Mangan KF, Ingle JN, et al. Conventional-dose chemotherapy compared with high-dose chemotherapy plus autologous hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation for metastatic breast cancer. Philadelphia Bone Marrow Transplant Group. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 1069–1076.
9. Mello MM, Brennan TA. The controversy over high-dose chemotherapy with autologous bone marrow transplant for breast cancer. Health Affairs 2001; 20(5): 101–117.
10. The ALLHAT Officers and Coordinators for the ALLHAT Collaborative Research Group. Major outcomes in high-risk hypertensive patients randomized to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor or calcium channel blocker vs diuretic: The Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering treatment to prevent Heart Attack Trial (ALLHAT). JAMA 2002; 288: 2981–2997.
11. Petersen M. Diuretics' value drowned out by trumpeting of newer drugs. The New York Times, December 18, 2002, p. A32.
12. Kleinke JD. Oxymorons: The Myth of a U.S. Health Care System. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2001, p. 79.