In mid-April 1925, through a setup between the American Telephone and Telegraph Company and publicists at MGM, Marion Davies became the first film celebrity to have her image transmitted over telephone wires. The grainy photographic image of Davies being handed a film makeup bag by Louis B. Mayer was published afterward in the Hearst newspapers with a caption noting that Davies's next production for MGM would be The Merry Wives of Gotham (later titled The Lights of Old Broadway). At the same time the Davies demonstration was made, Hearst and Loews executive Nicholas Schenck were working on plans to erect a chain of radio stations across the country. If successful, the chain would be a national delivery system for what Hearst called “inexpensive information and entertainment” and presumably also serve as a vehicle for promoting MGM films. Another aspect of Hearst and Schenck's radio plan was the development of a facsimile system for transmitting text and imagery similar to what was achieved with the Davies wire photograph. Over the next year, however, the project became bogged down in litigation over facsimile patents and other cost considerations. It was completely abandoned when Hearst decided to build a more loosely connected radio network on his own by buying up mostly preexisting stations over a more extended period of time.
Later in April 1925 the long-delayed Zander the Great opened in Los