CBFSC Celeste Bartos Film Study Center, Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York
CTL Cinema and Television Library, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
ELL Eli Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
HTC Harvard Theatre Collection, Cambridge, Massachusetts
MHL Margaret Herrick Library, Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences, Los Angeles, California
MPSVB Motion Picture, Sound, and Video Branch, National Archives, College Park, Maryland
MTR Museum of Television and Radio, New York, New York
NYPLPA New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, New York, New York
SCRBC Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, New York Public Library, New York, New York
UCLA Special Collections, University of California–Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
UCLA Arts Arts Special Collections, University of California–Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
WBC Warner Brothers Collection, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
WSHS Wisconsin State Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin
1. “Sidney Poitier: The Defiant One”; Variety, 23 August 1967.
2. Report of the United States National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders; Weisbrot, Freedom Bound, 264–65; Vari ety, 12 July 1967; Pittsburgh Courier, 26 July 1967.
3. Atlanta Journal, 15 August 1967; Pittsburgh Courier, 26 August 1967; New York Times, 15 August 1967, 19 August 1967.
4. Lerone Bennett Jr., “Hollywood’s First Negro Movie Star,” Ebony, May 1959, 100. On Poitier’s career, see Keyser and Ruszkowski, Cinema of Sidney Poitier; Marill, Films of Sidney Poitier; Kelley, “Evolution of Character Portrayals”; Cripps, Making Movies Black, 250–94.
5. On Poitier’s life, see Poitier, This Life; Poitier, Measure of a Man; Ewers, Long Journey; Hoffman, Sidney; Bergman, Sidney Poitier.
6. On black film, see Cripps, Slow Fade to Black; Bogle, Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks; Leab, From Sambo to Superspade; Reid, Redefining Black Film; Diawara, Black American Cinema; Guerrero, Framing Blackness; Mapp, Blacks in American Films; Nesteby, Black Images in American Films; Null, Black Hollywood.