Principal Art Schools,
and Collaborative Works
Mentioned in the Text
Cross-references in SMALL CAPITALS refer to entries in the text; those in italics refer to other entries in this appendix.
Art Academy of Cincinnati.See McMicken School of Drawing and Design and NOBLE, THOMAS SATTERWHITE.
Artists' Union of Cincinnati. Organized in March 1851, to supplant the moribund Western Art Union, the Artists' Union of Cincinnati opened its first exhibition two months later in THOMAS FARIS'S Melodeon Hall daguerreotype gallery; among those represented were LILLY M. SPENCER, WILLIAM L. SONNTAG. VICTORM. GRISWOLD. GEORGEW. WHITE, EMIL BOTT, JAMES P. BARTON, JOHN R. JOHNSTON, CHARLES E. CRIDLAND, and JOHN F. FRANCIS. Beginning in May 1851, members received a monthly magazine, The Artists'Journal, edited by OSGOOD MUSSEY. A formal constitution was adopted in November, and JAMES H. BEARD was elected president. By January 1852, when the first distribution of paintings was held, there were 1, 335 subscribers. The second took place in January 1853, but by then the membership had dropped to 935; no further distributions were noted in the press. ¶ Cincinnati Enquirer, May 8, July 24, Nov. 26, Dec. 21, 1851, Jan. 6, 1852, Jan. 5, 1853.
Associated Artists of Cincinnati. A group of artists and amateurs who banded together in 1866 to provide "the means for a more thorough knowledge of Art," to establish an art school, and "to make Cincinnati—what it should be—the Artcenter of the Great West." With CHARLES T. WEBBER as president, on December 27, 1866, the Associated Artists held its first "Annual Exhibition and Conversazione" at WILLIAM WISWELL JR.'S Gallery with works by THOMAS D. JONES, WILLIAM P. NOBLE, HENRY MOSLER, and others. The organization was absorbed in 1868 by the Cincinnati Academy of Fine Arts. ¶ Cincinnati Enquirer, Dec. 17, 25, 1866, Feb. 19, Mar. 11, 20, 1867; Vitz 1967 (thesis), 14–15.
Brush and Palette Club of Cleveland. A select society of professional artists organized in 1893 for the purpose of holding semi-annual exhibitions, and for "theadvancement of professional art." The first president was ARCHIBALD M. WILLARD, and the founding members were MAX BOHM, CHARLES DE KLYN, FREDERICK C. GOTTWALD (secretarytreasurer), JOHN KAVANAGH, ADAM LEHR, O. v. SCHUBERT, and JOHN SEMON. In 1895 Charles F. Olney, a Cleveland art critic and collector, became president and three more members were admitted: WILLIAM J. EDMONDSON, NINA V. WALDECK, and CAROLINE M. OSBORN. ¶ Cleveland Plain Dealer, May 20, Nov. 11, 1894, May 19, Nov. 10, 1895, Dec. 8, 1896, Nov. 13, 1898, Apr. 30 (illus.), 1899; Am. Art Ann. 2 (1899); Van Tassel and Grabowski 1987.
Cincinnati Academy of Fine Arts "1827". See ECKSTEIN, FREDERICK.
Cincinnati Academy of Fine Arts "1838". Formed October 18, 1838, by "a few young men of Cincinnati, in order that by their union they might obtain greater facilities for the mutual improvement of the members "in" the various branches of the fine arts." This was the second of three quite different organizations of the same name launched in Cincinnati between 1827 and 1868. Among its founders were JAMES H. BEARD, GODFREY FRANKENSTEIN (president), WORTHINGTON WHITTREDGE, MINER K. KELLOGG, and JOHN L. WHETSTONE (secretary). To raise funds, in 1839 they held an exhibition of 150 works of painting and sculpture, loaned by the members themselves and by sympathetic local collectors like PEYTON S. SYMMES. Determined to perpetuate their cause, the members mounted a second exhibition in 1841, but they were in reality working at cross-purposes with the Fine Arts Section of the Society for the Promotion of Useful Knowledge; the Academy lasted