1. Barry Wellman has been consistently warning that “community lost” is a false idea. He instead promotes “community found” through social networks of all kinds (Wellman 1979).
2. The word is anathema to network scholars, however.
3. Pew Internet and American Life Project’s December 2008 tracking survey, http://www. pewinternet.org/Reports/2009/Adults-and-Social-Network-Websites.aspx.
4. Pew Internet Project Memo, January 14, 2009.
5. Their business model is another story.
7. Former United States Senator George J. Mitchell’s twenty-month investigation into the use of anabolic steroids and human growth hormone (HGH) in Major League Baseball (MLB), released on December 13, 2007.
8. Associated Press, June 8, 2009, Boylev. U.S., 07–1309.
9. Two dissenting justices thought the statue indeed had intended formal organizations.
11. Whether the similarity of networked people is caused by homophily or influence is difficult to unentangle. Christakis and Fowler favor influence as an explanation.
12. For a similar point, see Martin (2009).
1. Useful works are Newman 2010; Nooy, Mrvar, and Batagelj 2005; Wasserman and Faust 1997.
2. For an elegant analysis of basic network relations, see Martin 2009, chapters 1 and 2. 213