Domestic Violence: Legal Sanctions and Recidivism Rates among Male Perpetrators

By S. Deborah Cosimo | Go to book overview

CHAPTER SIX
Comparisons between Recidivists
and Non-Recidivists

This chapter presents the statistical analyses comparing recidivists of domestic violence with non-recidivists using bivariate cross tabulations. To examine differences in the means for interval/ratio or continuous variables, this study employs t-tests. To measure effect sizes, this study uses Hedge’s g. The chi-square tests of significance determine the probability of associations of nominal-level and dichotomous variables with recidivism of domestic violence. The phi coefficient reflects the strength of the associations. In addition to the descriptive statistics and analysis of mean differences, this study uses Cox proportional hazards regression analysis to predict the risk of recidivism of domestic violence over time, comparing the number of community legal sanctions (or dose-response) imposed for the index case.

During the follow-up period, 69.8% of the 607 men in the sample were not involved with either the civil or the criminal courts for domestic violence related offenses. The remaining 184 men in the sample (30.2%) were involved with the courts and met the study’s criteria for recidivism of domestic violence: any cases filed in the county for domestic violence related criminal offenses, or any protective orders processed by the county District Attorney’s office after the index case. The number of days from the index case to recidivism ranges from 1 day to 2805 days. The mean number of days

-69-

Notes for this page

Add a new note
If you are trying to select text to create highlights or citations, remember that you must now click or tap on the first word, and then click or tap on the last word.
One moment ...
Default project is now your active project.
Project items
Notes
Cite this page

Cited page

Style
Citations are available only to our active members.
Buy instant access to cite pages or passages in MLA 8, MLA 7, APA and Chicago citation styles.

(Einhorn, 1992, p. 25)

(Einhorn 25)

(Einhorn 25)

1. Lois J. Einhorn, Abraham Lincoln, the Orator: Penetrating the Lincoln Legend (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1992), 25, http://www.questia.com/read/27419298.

Note: primary sources have slightly different requirements for citation. Please see these guidelines for more information.

Cited page

Bookmark this page
Domestic Violence: Legal Sanctions and Recidivism Rates among Male Perpetrators
Table of contents

Table of contents

Settings

Settings

Typeface
Text size Smaller Larger Reset View mode
Search within

Search within this book

Look up

Look up a word

  • Dictionary
  • Thesaurus
Please submit a word or phrase above.
Print this page

Print this page

Why can't I print more than one page at a time?

Help
Full screen
Items saved from this book
  • Bookmarks
  • Highlights & Notes
  • Citations
/ 154

matching results for page

    Questia reader help

    How to highlight and cite specific passages

    1. Click or tap the first word you want to select.
    2. Click or tap the last word you want to select, and you’ll see everything in between get selected.
    3. You’ll then get a menu of options like creating a highlight or a citation from that passage of text.

    OK, got it!

    Cited passage

    Style
    Citations are available only to our active members.
    Buy instant access to cite pages or passages in MLA 8, MLA 7, APA and Chicago citation styles.

    "Portraying himself as an honest, ordinary person helped Lincoln identify with his audiences." (Einhorn, 1992, p. 25).

    "Portraying himself as an honest, ordinary person helped Lincoln identify with his audiences." (Einhorn 25)

    "Portraying himself as an honest, ordinary person helped Lincoln identify with his audiences." (Einhorn 25)

    "Portraying himself as an honest, ordinary person helped Lincoln identify with his audiences."1

    1. Lois J. Einhorn, Abraham Lincoln, the Orator: Penetrating the Lincoln Legend (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1992), 25, http://www.questia.com/read/27419298.

    Cited passage

    Thanks for trying Questia!

    Please continue trying out our research tools, but please note, full functionality is available only to our active members.

    Your work will be lost once you leave this Web page.

    Buy instant access to save your work.

    Already a member? Log in now.

    Search by... Author
    Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

    Oops!

    An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.