Times * Roger Berkowitz
1. Charles R. Morris, The Two Trillion Dollar Meltdown: Easy Money, High Rollers, and the Great Credit Crash (New York: Public Affairs, 2009), 63.
2. George Soros, The Crash of 2008 and What It Means: The New Paradigm for Financial Markets (New York: Public Affairs, 2009), 84, 95.
3. See Bill Fleckenstein, “Why All Roads Lead to Inflation,” Contrarian Chronicles (May 12, 2008). http:// articles.moneycentral.msn.com /Investing/ContrarianChronicles /WhyAllRoadsLeadToInflation.aspx
4. John Stuart Mill, “Paper Currency and Commercial Distress,” in The Collected Works of John Stuart Mill, vol. 4: Essays on Economics and Society, part 1, ed. John M. Robson (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, London: Routledge and Kegan Paul), 1967.
5. Joseph Schumpeter, Can Capitalism Survive? (New York: Harper Perennial Modern Classics, 2009).
6. Arthur F. Burns and Wesley C. Mitchell, Measuring Business Cycles (New York: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1946).
7. Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism (New York: Harvest Books, 1973), viii.
8. Hannah Arendt, The Human Condition (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1958).
9. Hannah Arendt, “The Crisis in Education,” in Between Past and Future (New York: Penguin Books, 2006), 171.
10. Arendt, Origins of Totalitarianism, 125.
11. “The economy produces legitimacy for the state that is its guarantor. In other words, the economy creates public law, and this is an absolutely important phenomenon, which is not entirely unique in history to be sure, but is nonetheless a quite singular phenomenon in our times.” Michel Foucault, The Birth of Biopolitics: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1978–1979 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010), 84.
12. Max Weber, The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, trans. Stephen Kahlberg (Chicago: Roxbury, 2001), 24.
of Imperialism Help Us
Understand the Current Financial
Crisis? * Tracy B. Strong
1. All internal citations are to Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism (New York: Harvest Books, 1973).
2. Peter Mandelson, “Russia and the EU: Building Trust on a Shared Continent,” Information Daily, June 23, 2008.
3. Hannah Arendt, Men in Dark Times (New York: Mariner, 1970), 87.
4. See Benjamin R. Barber, Jihad or McWorld (New York: Ballantine, 1996).
5. Jean-Luc Nancy, “La Comparution/ Compearance,” trans. Tracy Strong, Political Theory 20, no. 3 (1992): 392.