Portland State University
Summer 1946: Stephen Epler opens the Vanport Extension Center (VEC) with the mission of serving veterans returning from World War II.
Memorial Day 1948: Floodwaters destroy the VEC campus and community of Vanport, Oregon.
Fall 1948: Vanport moves and welcomes the first student to a converted abandoned shipyard affectionately dubbed Oregon Ship.
April 15, 1949: The governor of Oregon signs House Bill 213 allocating the funds to purchase a building (the old Lincoln High School) for the permanent home of the Vanport Extension Center in downtown Portland.
Winter 1952: Epler successfully works with the faculty to change the name of the institution to Portland State Extension Center and is more commonly referred to as Portland State College.
Fall 1952: Oregon Ship moves into the old Extension offices in downtown Portland.
December 1952: Consultant to the State Board of Higher Education recommends extending four-year degree-granting ability to Portland State.
Fall 1953: A second building—a converted Safeway grocery story—is acquired to house the Engineering Department.
1949–55: The organization fights with the governor’s office, and with opponents from the University of Oregon and Oregon State University, to