A handsome and imposing monument has been erected over the grave of ex-Governor Benjamin Franklin Perry in the cemetery of Christ Episcopal Church, in Greenville. The monument is of a design, chaste and beautiful and befitting the character of the noble patriot and statesman, whose memory it will commemorate. It stands in the southeast corner of the family burying lot, rising to a height of twenty feet from the grass sod at its feet.
The monument made and erected by Van Gunden & Young of Philadelphia, Pa., is of Barre granite. It consists of three bases, supporting a die, upon which rests a cap, from which in turn rises the pyramidal spire. The lower base is plain. On the western face of the second base is the name "Perry," sculptured in bold letters in relief. There are no other inscriptions on the bases.
On each of the four faces of the die are raised tablets, on the polished face of which are lettered the inscriptions. The western face contains the following:
In memory of BENJ. FRANKLIN PERRY, Born November 20, 1805. Died December 3, 1886.
On the opposite face of the die appears the following inscription:
District Judge and District Attorney of the Southern Confederacy. State Senator and Provisional Governor of South Carolina and United States Senator elect.