AMONG the branches or centres of supply and distribution of the United States Sanitary Commission, though some with a wider field and a more wealthy population in that field have raised a larger amount of money or supplies, there was none which in so small and seemingly barren a district proved so efficient or accomplished so much as the "Soldiers' Aid Society of Northern Ohio."
This extraordinary efficiency was due almost wholly to the wonderful energy and business ability of its officers. The society which at first bore the name of The Soldiers' Aid Society of Cleveland, was composed wholly of ladies, and was organized on the 20th day of April, 1861, five days after the President's pro-clamation calling for troops. Its officers were (exclusive of vicepresidents who were changed once or twice and who were not specially active) Mrs. B. Rouse, President, Miss Mary Clark Brayton, Secretary, Miss Ellen F. Terry, Treasurer. These ladies continued their devotion to their work not only through the war, but with a slight change in their organization, to enable them to do more for the crippled and disabled soldier, and to collect without fee or reward the bounties, back pay and pensions coming to the defenders of the country, has remained in existence and actively employed up to the present time.
No constitution or by-laws were ever adopted, and beyond a