OF U. S. SANITARY COMMISSION.
PHILADELPHIA was distinguished throughout the war by the intense and earnest loyalty and patriotism of its citizens, and especially of its women. No other city furnished so many faithful workers in the hospitals, the Refreshment Saloons, the Soldiers' Homes and Reading-rooms, and no other was half so well represented in the field, camp, and general hospitals at the "front." Sick and wounded soldiers began to arrive in Philadelphia very early in the war, and hospital after hospital was opened for their reception until in 1863-4, there were in the city and county twenty-six military hospitals, many of them of great extent. To all of these, the women of Philadelphia ministered most generously and devotedly, so arranging their labors that to each hospital there was a committee, some of whose members visited its wards daily, and prepared and distributed the special diet and such delicacies as the surgeons allowed. But as the war progressed, these patriotic women felt that they ought to do more for the soldiers, than simply to minister to those of them who were in the hospitals of the city. They were sending to the active agents in the field, Mrs. Harris, Mrs. Husband, Mrs. Lee, and others large quantities of stores; the "Ladies' Aid Association," organized in April, 1861, enlisted the energies of one class, the Penn Relief Association, quietly established by the Friends, had not long after, furnished an outlet for the overflowing sympathies and kindness of the fol-