American Academy in Rome
American Academy in Rome, founded in 1894 as the American School of Architecture in Rome by Charles F. McKim and enlarged in 1897 with the founding of the American Academy in Rome for students of architecture, sculpture, and painting. It was incorporated by act of Congress in 1905. In 1913 its charter was amended to include the American School of Classical Studies in Rome. It annually awards to U.S. citizens competitive fellowships bearing a yearly stipend, a travel allowance, and residence in Rome. Fellowships are granted in architecture, painting, sculpture, music, landscape architecture, and art history.