Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences
Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, cultural and educational institution founded in 1823 in Brooklyn, N.Y., as the Brooklyn Apprentices' Library Association. The scope was broadened in 1843 and the name changed to The Brooklyn Institute. In 1890 the institution was reorganized and reincorporated under its present name. The forerunner of the Brooklyn Museum of Art (est. 1897), it also included the Brooklyn Academy of Music (est. 1859), Brooklyn Children's Museum (est. 1899), and Brooklyn Botanic Garden (est. 1910).