Citadel, The–The Military College of South Carolina
The–The Military College of South Carolina Citadel (sĬt´ədəl, –dĕl´), at Charleston; state supported; chartered (1842) as The Citadel, opened 1843. From 1882 to 1910 it was named the South Carolina Military Academy. Cadets are subject to military regulations. The exclusion of women from the traditionally all-male corps of cadets was challenged in court in the mid-1990s, and a state-sponsored South Carolina Institute of Leadership for Women opened (1995) at Converse College, Spartanburg, S.C., as a parallel program for women. In 1996, after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that a similar program at the Virginia Military Institute was inadequate, The Citadel voted to admit women to the cadet corps, and in 1999 the first woman graduated from the school.
See study by C. S. Manegold (2000).