Field Museum of Natural History
Field Museum of Natural History, in Chicago, Ill. Founded in 1893 through the gifts of Marshall Field and others, it was first known as the Columbian Museum of Chicago and in 1905 was renamed in honor of its major benefactor. It was originally intended to house the biological and anthropological collections included in the World's Columbian Exposition (1893), and these objects form the core of its collection. First located in Jackson Park, in 1921 it moved to its present site on Chicago Park District, where it is part of a lakefront museum campus that also includes the Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium. The museum is especially noted for its lifelike exhibits of animals in their natural settings, displays of plant life, and anthropological and geological collections. The many expeditions sponsored by the museum have contributed much to its collections. The museum also conducts research and maintains a publishing plant. Many educational opportunities are offered by its library, school-service department, and special programs.