Iowa State University of Science and Technology
Iowa State University of Science and Technology, at Ames, commonly known as Iowa State University; land-grant with state and federal support; coeducational; chartered 1858, opened 1868 as an agricultural college; called Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts from 1896 to 1959. It has schools of agriculture, business, design, education, engineering, family and consumer sciences, liberal arts and sciences, and veterinary medicine as well as graduate faculties. The Ames Laboratory of the U.S. Dept. of Energy is there.