Byline: Jesus M Elbinias
THE quotations appearing in this column today are among those taken from Frank S. Meads edited and compiled 12,000 Religious Quotations for our Lenten meditation.
. "Jesus Christ is the outstanding personality of all time... No other teacher Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Mohammedan is still a teacher whose teaching is such a guidepost for the world we live in. Other teachers may have something basic for an Oriental, an Arab, or an Occidental; but every act and word of Jesus has value for all of us. He became the Light of the World. Why shouldnt I, a Jew, be proud of that?" (Sholem Asch.).
2. "The name of Christ the one great word well worth all the languages in earth or heaven." (Samuel Bailey).
3. "The dying Jesus is the evidence of Gods anger toward sin; but the living Jesus is the proof of Gods love and forgiveness." (Lorenz Eifert).
4. "In his life, Christ is an example, showing us how to live; in his death, he is a sacrifice, satisfying for our sins; in his resurrection, a conqueror; in his ascension, a king; in his intercession, a high priest." (Martin Luther).
5. "If I might comprehend Jesus Christ, I could not believe on Him. He would be no greater than myself. Such is my consciousness of sin and inability that I must have a superhuman Saviour." (Daniel Webster).
6. "The cross is I crossed out."
7. "The cross is the only ladder high enough to touch Heavens threshold." (George Dana Boardman). …